"I hate men! All of them! In all of their different shapes, sizes, and occupations!" My best friend, Stephanie, yells into the receiver. "I mean would it kill them to call or text of send a friggin' smoke signal three days after a date?"
"I take it Mr. Mark James isn't on your good list right now, is he?" I ask as I try to refrain from smiling.
"NO! He won't see that list for a very long time!" She sounds really beaten up about this.
"Listen, I'm sure he's been busy. Don't take it to heart. Look, I gotta go. Love ya."
"Yea, love you too. Later." The line goes dead.
I place my phone back in my purse that sits, waiting, in my shopping cart. I absentmindedly walk through the aisles half looking for canned green beans and half just enjoying being out of the house. It's been so long since I've been out on my own. Mom thought it would be too hard on me; that everyone would stare at my scars. But I just don't care. I'm just happy to be alive. And out.
As I pull into aisle eight, I see the canned corn, then the canned peas. The green beans must be next. Then I feel my cart crash into something. Just before the flashbacks can start, I duck my head, apologize to whoever or whatever I hit, and rush out of the aisle.
I turn the corner, and start to catch my breath. Maybe I should just leave. I examine my cart. I have almost everything I came or, plus more than I intended to get. And I don't really need green beans. I don't even like green beans. I look over my cart one more time. Yea, I'll just go.
VVP: Art 434 & Engl. 410
- ► 2013 (55)
- Wes Anderson and Joseph Cornell
- Individual Practice - Robert Kirkendall
- Individual Practice - Rachel Kudron
- Individual Practice - Jenna Guthmiller
- Individual Practice - Zach Mendelson
- Individual Practice - Jasper Biggs
- Individual Practice - Dan Fawcett
- Individual Practice - Emily Roulund
- Individual Practice - Mary Kate Reynolds
- Individual Practice - Elaine Phillips
- Individual Practice - Jennifer Ross
- Individual Practice - Christian Bearup
- Poem In Conversation with Joseph Cornell
- Twitter Poetry Collab
- Juliet made the following video for this class, fo...
- “Anything that helps you to see. Anything that mak...
- Image Text Collaboration
- ▼ May (17)