VVP: Art 434 & Engl. 410

Website for Vision Voice and Practice: An Interdisciplinary Course in Art and Creative Writing

Monday, March 25, 2013

Poem in Conversation with Joseph Cornell

Dear Mr. Potesta,

neighbor and valued customer,
First of all, I want to commend you on how much you've
       grown since Zambia,
Man Wearing Khaki Coveralls.

I know we don't talk as much as we used to,
but Lou Williams scorched the Knicks
and I lost count of how many steps after ninety-nine.

I wish you would have told me about this tradition
before you already left
so I could write you a legitimate one.

This is a gift:
ninety-seven cents for a dozen eggs,
I thought the colors would match your new room,
but just use a symbol like we talked about.

Don't ever forget:
I adore these books,
so it says a lot for you that I'm sending them
       across the miles.

Do not ever forget:
One day my family and I drove and drove and drove,
and Philip was standing next to the chariot
and I hope this is all making sense.

If it isn't,
if you need to change your appointment for any reason,
you may want to look beyond the internet-savvy throngs
       clogging the sidewalks and bars here.

This is all just to say
that Kovalchuk waited out Grossman,
and tagging along was a conviction as strong as
       anything I had ever felt.

Love always,
The Editors.

- Justin Potesta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers